Sunday, August 2, 2009

It's August!

Wow, time flies. You can guess I've been taking time off the computer (blogging) to enjoy summer - or what there is of summer here.

I spent 20 days on the road traveling with my family. My children travel well. They have their moments, but hey - considering we had 12-14 hours in a van, they did extremely well. And, considering we supplied them with movies and video games.. that helped all the more. We had a few "pull over to the side of the road" episodes where we explained (through gritted teeth) the importance of quiet and not fighting, so not to "distract the driver."

My kids saw and played in the ocean for the first time. They took to it like they have been in it every day of their lives. Quite amazing! Even my husband, who born and raised in the centre of the world really didn't have much ocean experience. I hemmed and hawed at the importance of watching the children. Making sure they understood the currents and what they can do. My husband learned that when the tide comes in, that it's important to pack the towels and such - up along the dunes... He and the girls came back to a drenched site one day. I spent time trying to find "sand glass." I never found any. Instead I spent the time awwwing over the smooth flat rocks the ocean spit out.

I also got to IKEA 2x's. It's amazing to actually go to IKEA twice in the same week. Simply amazing. And I did it in two separate cities, many miles apart. And I didn't spend more than $100. My husband doesn't quite understand IKEA. He went with me on the 2nd trip. He was confused. He tried to find an exit - and for those of you that know - there is no exit! You must go through each section.. follow the arrow.

We came home to a jungle in my backyard. It was beyond insane. Like up to my knees insane. And to make matters worse - I think it rained 95% of the time we were gone! So, it was a jungle of wet grass. My lawnmower spit. It did not like the grass. It refused to put the grass in it's baggy attachment, instead - spitting it out in clumps. It was a horrible looking grass. Just horrible. It's looking a bit better now. A bit.

Since we've been back, it's rained 95% of the time. Sigh. The temperatures have been way below normal. In fact - we are saving so much electricity. I can't remember the last time we used our a/c. Normally - that a/c would be running nonstop. And.. kicking my kids outside brings cries of "it's tooo cold!" instead of "it's too hot!"

So, I've been spending time redecorating my house - or adding some kind of decorating. I just got two new area rugs. Looks great. I think. I lose all self esteem when it comes to decorating. I worry what "people will think." I must remember - IT'S MY HOME AND MY COMFORT. Sigh. I have a ways to go.

I've also focused on getting my daughter ready for back-to-school. She's about done, clothes wise. I haven't so much on the boys. They are done with Please Mum, and Gymboree.. and Sears and Walmart... they want speciality clothing. Speciality clothing really costs a lot! And rarely on sale. Rarely. Sigh. But I must accept the fact that they are growing up and into new things. And instill in them that I won't spend $100 on a pair of pants - I at least should see a shirt in for that price!!! Maybe two! And for God's sake... a sale would be nice!

And normally, I am not a back-to-school clothing kind of person. I usually buy clothes as they need them. And buying warm clothes in the middle of summer is useless - no one wants to try it on and they can't wear them until October (otherwise they will boil in them in the air-conditionless schools). But since it's so below average temperature wise - it's been rather easy to put my mind into clothes shopping. Still unlike me. I do prefer the wait until they need idea... ah well. Blame it on the sales and the weather.

Tomorrow is my 13th anniversary. Yes, my husband I made it 13 years. Doing o.k. Some bumpy roads, lots of learning to communicate and accepting each others faults - but the love is still there. Still lots to learn (mainly on my part). I realized this yesterday that I really didn't know what my husband was into. I walked the mall trying to find something for him. Deciding on a game. He's into warhammer, catan such games, etc. It's all every confusing to me, and all very uninteresting. I've tried to understand.. I've tried. I even went so far as to ask him "what would you like for your anniversary?" And I didn't get any reply. Just a shrug. So, I had to call his friend. A good friend. Who probably hung up the phone and shook his head. Wondering where Darryl went wrong, marrying someone with zero interest in his interests. His wife probably knows what he wants for birthdays and anniversaries. Although he may verbally let her know too. Really none of my business. But my husband can never say I don't put in any effort to getting him a gift. I walk hours on end, hemming and hawing - drag kids with me and we all hem and haw - and then I call friends. "Help!"

So, 13 years. And you know - I can almost guarantee he is out somewhere right now hemming and hawing over me. Because I refuse clothing. And what I wanted, I no longer want anymore (as earlier in Walmart we were looking at Ipods - to replace the one that was stolen) and I told him that I really didn't want the Itouch anymore that it was useless for me and he really uses this stuff more than I do - so go get what would work for him thingy) I think I heard him scream silently to himself.

oops.

Here's to many more anniversary shopping experiences to come!!!

No comments: